Email:

daniel.blanchard@myldsmail.net


Packages/Mail:

All packages are to be sent through the U.S. Postal Service. They do seem to arrive intact within 2-4 weeks.
Elder Daniel Blanchard

Mision El Salvador Santa Ana

Apartado Postal #142

Santa Ana, El Salvador, C.A.

Monday, December 5, 2016

Week 18 (Campestre, Atiquizaya)



Well, I may or may not have gotten drunk this week.  But to begin this story, let’s go back to last Monday, after I finished writing you guys. Well we went to go do our shopping for the week, and everyone thought we were going to get money in our accounts, but we didn’t. So everyone was super stressed with their money for the week. I was pretty well set with 10 dollars, which is way more than enough for the week, while other elders had 15 cents. 

Well to make things even better we went to see if we had money left over in the bank account, and I had 10 more dollars. So with this feeling of being the richest elder in the mission we went to the store. We bought some cookies and other treats. 

Then while walking in the cereal and boxed milk isle I spotted something that slightly resembled eggnog. I stopped and looked again. Rompopo. My comp saw what I was looking at and got excited too. He tried to explain what it was, how the members in Honduras always drink this stuff during Christmas time and that sometimes non members liked to ferment it into alcohol. I knew that a lot of people liked to turn eggnog into alcohol so now I knew it had to be eggnog, then I flipped the box over and it had in English the word Eggnog. That was the only thing I needed to see and I was convinced we needed to buy it. My comp was like yeah alright.

Well we went home played soccer at the church with the other elders and some members, then went home showered, slept a little, then it was time to leave the house. Well I wanted to drink my eggnog before we left, so I get a cup out and pour me a glass, and I down it in one second. It wasn’t that good. But it sort of resembled eggnog so I drank another half cup. This cup was pretty big. Then my comp comes in and tried a tiny sip. He was like, ah elder, this has alcohol in it. And we look at the box, and in a red box that is pretty hard to miss it says. CONTAINS ALCOHOL. 

At this point I’m thinking oh crap. We had a family home evening planned with the family of S...... our convert and the family of the bishop, so we went to their house first. That’s when I started feeling super weird. It started with me sweating a lot. We were in the living room of the bishop asking them about the lesson we were going to teach because when we had discussed it prior they said they were going to plan a lesson and they were going  to talk with the family to make sure it was alright if we came. 

Well they didn’t do either. So we had to go to S..... house to ask if we could have the family home evening. At this point I felt super weird. Like everything was moving around me but I was still super conscious. Then we returned to bishops house to tell them the lesson was still on. At this point I am sweating profusely and I am starting to feel like crap. 

We go back to our house because I knew a Mormon message that is really good for what we were going to talk about. Because I knew there was no way I was going to be able to teach a family home evening by myself in the state I was in. Well I was searching for 20 minutes for the video and when I finally found it wouldn’t play. So I was like crap. I have to prepare to teach a lesson on the atonement of Jesus Christ in 20 minutes and then teach it by myself drunk. At this point I feel extremely sick and light headed and just super out of it, but we went and picked up the family of the bishop and went to Sandra’s house. 

Well, I gave the whole lesson and it was one of the best lessons I have ever give, (my comp couldn’t help teach because first he still doesn’t really talk in the lessons, and 2nd he didn’t know what the atonement was) My comp after the lesson was like, holy cow, the spirit was super strong in the lesson haha. After that we went home and slept. The next day I woke up with the worst headache I have ever had. And we had interviews that day haha. I told president about it and he just said, what did you learn elder_ That I shouldn’t be stupid. He just laughed and said, yeah I think that’s right. It was indeed an interesting experience.

This week had its highs and lows like always. We have one investigator who is really starting to progress towards baptism and we went to the Christmas devotional with us last night, he did start to fall asleep though. At first I was kind of disappointed, but then I thought about the story of Ammon and they all collapsed when they felt the spirit of conversion so I figured that must have been happening with him. But He is really a great guy and he wants to have some changes in his life. 

We have two sets of investigators who want to get baptized but can’t because they need divorces so they can get married to the person they are living with. And it’s a super complicated long process and its super frustrating. Another problem we have is everyone works on Sundays. You’d think in a country where literally everyone is a devout member of their faith, they would have everything closed on the Sabbath day. 

But yeah this week I think we are going to leave a couple of our investigators so we can find a lot more to teach and that can progress. I was talking to president about how we have a problem with them coming to church and he said kind of the same thing as you, he said no I think the problem you have is that they aren’t reading the book of Mormon. He said I am kind of convinced that if they are reading every night and praying then they will come to church.

Things are slightly improving with my companion. He is feeling more comfortable in the lessons and talking more.. kind of. We have been doing a lot of service this week because of the new church video Ilumina el mundo and that’s been fun. 

Although these past few days have been awful with the heat so that makes it a little tough. I don’t know if you guys have seen the Christmas video yet but it’s really good. It makes me miss snow a lot though. I hate the hot weather.

With my comp and singing I ended up recording him sing on my camera and showed him. He was shocked haha.

This week is going to be a good week though, right now I think it’s about to rain so that’s going to be good getting away from the sun. These past few days have been the hottest so far in the mission.

Love Elder Blanchard

No comments:

Post a Comment